Thursday, January 15, 2009

This and That

My sister Claire called me to tell me she just got done with a book I recommended to her and she liked it. It was so nice to get a call from her and hear her voice. Pleasant surprise.

It is in the high sixties here today and the Today show is showing all these other parts of the country that are battling dangerous cold. Chicago is 20 below with windchill and they are showing segments on the danger of frost-bite. When I lived in Providence and commuted to my office in Boston I had several days with the windchill making it feel like 9 degrees. Well, that's what the news said it felt like. To me it felt like ninety below.

My tears froze in the corner of my eyes like icicle daggers dragging across the surface of my eyeballs. I wrapped my scarf around my face and upper nose and still felt my nose hairs freeze together. I would walk the 6 blocks from the train station to the office and walk an extra 100 feet to the Starbucks across the street to get a coffee and a slice of pumpkin bread or a blueberry scone. I was trying to pack on the fat so that I had extra insulation by the time I had to walk home. I crossed the street to my building and opened the door only to be assaulted by 80 degree heat blowing in my already shredded eyes. I would walk up the stairs and go straight to the ladies room where I would remove 3 of the 4 layers of my clothing and then schlep my wardrobe, my coffee and my laptop bag into my office. What a routine.

I bring this up because on those days especially I would be homesick for California, the state where I spent all but 5 years of my life. I would call home to hear my mother's voice and would describe to her my Odyssean journey into work. She would listen and say, "Hmm. It's 69 here right now and I'm a little chilly in my shorts, but I had to switch to the shade because I was getting a sunburn." I love my mother, but she can be so cruel.

Today I feel just as cruel. I came back in the house before taking my dog for a walk so I could take off my sweatshirt and find my sunglasses. I hereby apologize to all the people in Chicago and Fargo and Providence for the fact that I am lucky enough to be back in California. "Sar-hee."


Something only my immediate family would understand: Songs playing on my iPod while I did five minutes on the rowing machine. Raspberry Beret, Alice is Wild, Nomads Indian Saints. The time flew by even if I can no longer lift my children.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this brings back so many memories of your job and home on the east coast. I never knew your tears would freeze! Remember the little coffee shop in Providence you took me to - one of your local faves?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clark didn't write that post above, it was Maggie, but his settings were already saved there so it posted as his on accident! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you listen to Alice is Wild. It's the song that I listen to in the warm up - running transition.

    ReplyDelete