Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History

I couldn't sleep last night in anticipation of today's inauguration. I woke up so early to start watching the events. Both our DVRs are full of four different channels of coverage.

Katie and Carter were up so early as well. They were dressed with shoes on and hair fixed by 8am even though their school doesn't start until 8:45.

My plan was to be there as soon as the door opened, drop them off and zoom home just in time to see Obama take the oath of office. I didn't make it. I just couldn't take my eyes off the television so my husband took the girls to school today. He walked in the door just as Obama was finished with the oath.

I was upstairs, blinds closed to eliminate glare on the TV screen, watching intently in my softest pajamas and Ugg Boots. I am so proud of our new President. I am proud that our country is represented by such an intelligent, capable, successful, inspiring human being. He is sensitive, compassionate, inclusive, tough and resolved to make our country a better place in every way.

When he said what he said about bringing science back to the forefront, my tears started. I just feel like my soul has been in a frozen winter the past eight years and finally finally we can see some sunlight. I hope we are not too far frozen.

I hope my girls remember this day, when they were three and Barack Obama became our 44th president. It means nothing to them now, but I hope it will mean everything for their lifetime. I hope it will signify the time when our country righted its course and everything started to get back on track. To come back to life again.

I cried again when I saw Michelle Obama's mom watching the motorcade from the parade viewing booth. What she has witnessed in her lifetime and now she literally has a front row seat to this new dawn. I would love to read her memoir.

We also had our offer accepted on a new house for us. I am scared and anxious and cautiously excited. Inspections are on Monday.

Here's Hoping!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - the sun shone a little brighter on this day of days. I too wondered what Mrs. Robinson was thinking as she watched all of today's events, knowing that her little granddaughters will never know the injustice that she faced and only that their daddy will fight for what is right and just. It was just incredible watching history unfold before our eyes and to know that some of our family was there in person to witness it all. I was proud of our country today - all of us - for being willing to step up and say we are going to help our President to get us all back on the right track. I'm not going to let our little ones forget this day. I also wondered why Michelle and the kids didn't have on hats!

    ReplyDelete